Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Gordon Home For Boys, Croydon

Photograph of Gordon Home For Boys, Croydon

Discover more about this imagelink opens in a new window

Gordon Home For Boys, Croydon

24 Morland Road, Croydon, London

(1891 - 1965)

Gordon Home was established as an independent children's home in Croydon Grove, Croydon around 1886 by Mr GJ Murdoch, under the patronage of Miss Mary Augusta Gordon. Mary was the sister of the famous General Gordon of Khartoum and the Home was named in his honour. In 1891 the building, now in Poplar Walk, Croydon, was transferred to the Waifs and Strays' Society.

Dr. Robert Gregory, Dean of St Paul's, formally opened the home in 1892. The Revd GC Fisher also came to the Home on this day to conduct a dedication service. The ground floor was divided into many different rooms, including a large dinning-room, a day-room, a small office for Mr Rogers, the Secretary, and a sitting-room for the master, Mr Sudgow. Upstairs were the bedrooms, and the kitchen and scullery were situated in the basement. There was also a large gravel playground at the front of the house, where the 28 boys could 'kick up their heels in play for hours, to the benefit of their health and to the detriment of their shoe-leather.' By June 1892 an extension in white and red brick had been built on the house, which would be the new prayer room.

Gordon Home was managed by a committee led by Revd John Masterman Braithwaite, Vicar and Rural Dean of Croydon. In 1903 they decided to move to new premises in Morland Road. The old premises were sold and the boys moved to their new home. The children also changed schools, and started to attend Christ Church School in the weekdays and St Michael's on Sundays. In 1912 a permanent chapel was added on to the Home, which was opened with a blessing by the Bishop of Croydon.

The Home was evacuated to Shoreham during the Second World War. After the war the Gordon Home reopened as Gordon House Home, and ran from 1947 until 1965.



The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo