Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Dover Home For Boys

No image of this Home exists in the Children's Society Archive. If you have an image of this home please let us know at hlr@childsoc.org.uk.

Dover Home For Boys

27 Pencaster Road, Dover, Kent

(1883 - 1905)

We have very little information on the Dover Home - but we believe that in 1883 the Honorary Secretary of the Canterbury Diocese, Mr Thomas Blackman, originally opened this Home as a Summer holiday home for London children. However, we believe it was not transferred to the Society until sometime between 1893 and 1895 - as the Home is not mentioned until the Society's 1895 Annual Report.

The Dover Home could house 24 boys, who were aged 7-12. Mrs Palmes was the Home's original Honorary Secretary, but she was replaced in 1901 by Miss V de Moleyns. In 1902 she was replaced by Miss A Davidson.

In 1905 the Dover Home closed, and the children were relocated to the new St George's Home for Boys in Tunbridge Wells.



The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo