Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Brighton Home For Girls

Photograph of Brighton Home For Girls

Discover more about this imagelink opens in a new window

Brighton Home For Girls

Egremont Place, Brighton, Sussex

(1894 - 1921)

Brighton and Hove Industrial School was opened in 1854 and ran independently for 39 years before being transferred to the Society on New Year's Day 1894. No alterations were made to the management but the Society took charge of the maintenance. Miss Pardoe and DD James Esq. continued as Joint Honorary Secretaries and were replaced by Mrs Roberts in 1906.

The 31 girls, aged 4-16, were encouraged to play in the 200 square yard garden because it was thought the girls would benefit from the fresh sea air. In the summer the girls ate their meals outside, in the shade of the tall trees. The matron believed so heartily in giving the girls fresh air, she left the doors and windows open all day and night in the summer months, making their rooms light and airy.

During the day the eldest girls were trained in cooking, laundry, housework and needlework which would serve them later to find work in domestic service. Their skills also came in useful during the First World War, when the girls made scarves and handkerchiefs for troops on the frontline. They also sold their needlework to local people, and the Home hosted regular 'Fancy Fairs' with stalls selling their goods.

The younger ones attended the nearby St Mary's Church school and were taught by the local vicar, who was the Home's Chaplain. According to the Society's magazine, all the girls enjoyed school and not being allowed to go to afternoon church was seen as a terrible punishment, worse than being sent to bed without tea.

Miss F Evans became the new Honorary Secretary in 1920, but the Home was closed in the following year.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust