Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Amphlett House Home for Boys, Droitwich Spa

Photograph of Amphlett House Home for Boys, Droitwich Spa

Discover more about this imagelink opens in a new window

Amphlett House Home for Boys, Droitwich Spa

Droitwich Spa, Worcestershire

(1924 - 1966)

In 1923 Judge and Mrs Amphlett donated a house in Droitwich to be used as a Home for Boys in memory of their son. The Home was officially opened as the Edward Paul Amphlett Memorial Home on 1 May 1924 by Judge Amphlett as a residence for 27 boys (aged up to 14 years old). The Judge and his wife were both active members of the House Committee and after the Judge's death in 1925 a bequest of £500 was left to the Home. Mrs Amphlett continued to be a member of the committee and members of the Amphlett family remained on the House Committee until the Home closed in 1966.

In 1939 the Girl Guides raised funds in order to name a bed at the Amphlett Home. After the Second World War the Home set up a scheme in which friends of the Home were encouraged to buy an item of food on points whilst shopping and then ask for it to be sent to the local Home. The arrangement was made with the Local Food Office and the points were supplied by the Home.

The Home was renamed the Amphlett House Home for Boys in about 1950 and in 1966 the residents and House Parents moved to St Faith's Torquay, which had closed in December 1965 due to the illness of the House Father and was therefore empty. The transfer was made at the request of the House Parents who were looking for a change, having been in Droitwich for eight years. Continuing recruitment problems meant that the Home was then closed and the House Committee disbanded. The building reopened as Amphlett House Hostel for Nursery Nurses in Training, finally closing in 1972.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust