Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Dulwich Home For Girls

Photograph of Dulwich Home For Girls

Discover more about this imagelink opens in a new window

Dulwich Home For Girls

8 Stamford Villas, Friern Road, East Dulwich, London

(1882 - 1936)

Dulwich Home for Girls was the first home to be opened by the Waifs and Strays' Society. A local committee ran the ordinary six-bedroomed house at 8 Stamford Villas through the matron, Mrs White, and the Honorary Secretary, Mr MT Reynolds. Mrs White had four children of her own to look after, so after only eight months she transferred her duties to a clergyman's widow, Mrs Milles. Later that year in July 1883, Miss MA Payne succeeded her.

The small Home could only house 12 girls and did not possess all the conveniences that the Society would have liked, so they moved to larger premises. The new house opened in May 1884 and could accommodate 30 girls. The Home changed its name to the Baroda House Home for Girls, after the name of their new building.

This move was short lived and the Home moved again in 1887, to the Lampson House, 62 Overhill Road and was renamed the Lampson Home in honour of the Home's sponsor, Dowager Lady Lampson. The opening ceremony was crowded, with over 100 children from homes around London plus staff and visitors attending. 'It was only by the exercise of much good-natured compression that the hall was cleared sufficiently to allow the Bishop and clergy to enter' to perform the dedication service.

It was intended that girls should learn skills that would help them find employment when they left so a new laundry room was added in 1896. Lampson Home proved so successful that in 1898 it was suggested that the Society buy the adjoining house to extend the Home.

The Home moved to the site of St Michael's Home for Girls in Shipton under Wychwood in 1936.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust