Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Heywood Home For Boys

Photograph of Heywood Home For Boys

Discover more about this imagelink opens in a new window

Heywood Home For Boys

Heywood, Rochdale Road, Lancashire

(1907 - 1920)

Although the lease for the Heywood Home was sealed in 1907, it took several years to become fully established. Our annual reports tell us that the boys did not move in until 1909, and the Home was only formally opened on 9 April 1910.

On this day the Bishop of Burnley came to Heywood to conduct a dedication ceremony, with over 500 interested people in attendance. A meeting was held in the Home's dayroom which was so crowded that the Bishop had to deliver his address whilst standing on a table. According to one visitor, although the spectacle was 'somewhat embarrassing, this proceeding enabled the speaker to be both seen and heard'.

At first Heywood House could accommodate up to 40 'elder' boys, and after expansion work in 1913 space was made for 15 more. Several of the older boys enlisted to fight in the First World War, and even the Home's master, J Liddel, served in the troops. Another important member of staff was Mr Moores, who worked as the first Honorary Secretary of the Home.

One of the ways homes raised money was to host a Pound Day, at which visitors were invited to donate either a pound in money or a pound in weight of something useful, like food and groceries. In 1919 Heywood Home organised a successful Pound Day, at which they received enough money to go on holiday for eight days. All 55 boys were taken to the seaside at Fleetwood where they were stayed in a local school. An account of the holiday states that 'there was no lack of provision for entertainment, a couple of hours on the sea being quite the 'event' of the week'.

The Home closed in 1920 as there was a lack of funds in the Diocese to look after such a large home.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust