Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Pickering Garth Home, Hull

Photograph of Pickering Garth Home, Hull

Discover more about this imagelink opens in a new window

Pickering Garth Home, Hull

Hull, Yorkshire

(1915 - 1983)

This was the successor Home to Clarendon House Home for Girls in Hull. The foundation stone was laid in 1914 by Mrs Pickering, the wife of the donor, Christopher Pickering. The Home was part of a planned development funded by Pickering which included a vicarage, the church, museum and almshouses. Mr Pickering had paid for building and furnishing the Home and provided an endowment which would yield £300 a year (according to expectations in 1915).

The Home, which accommodated 40 girls aged 6-16 by the 1930s, was officially opened as the Pickering Home for Girls and was dedicated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on 30 September 1915.

During the Second World War the residents of the Home were evacuated to two small houses in Louth at 214 Priory Terrace, Eastgate and Cloverly House, 164 Eastgate. In 1943 the residents again moved, this time to Springhill, Duffield. The Home reopened in Hull in 1946 and was temporarily closed in 1955.

In 1965 the Society reviewed the procedure of moving children on from nurseries to Homes. In order to give more continuity to a child's life it was decided to convert four homes into larger age groups, with a small nursery group. These were Dacre House Home at Rock Ferry, Court Lodge Home at Knockholt and Hawk's Lease Home at Lyndhurst as well as Pickering Garth. The intention was to take babies who were 'unlikely to be placed in foster homes or for adoption'. As attitudes to childcare changed such children were gradually fostered and the unit came under scrutiny. The decision was made to retain the Unit as an emergency unit for babies needing to be housed as short notice.

In 1973 the Home became an Assisted Community Home with half of its places allocated to children referred and paid for by the local authority. The Society continued to be responsible for the building as well as the other children in the Home.

The Home closed in 1983.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust