Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

The Hampshire Girls and Boys Home, Lyndhurst

No image of this Home exists in the Children's Society Archive. If you have an image of this home please let us know at hlr@childsoc.org.uk.

The Hampshire Girls and Boys Home, Lyndhurst

Lyndhurst, Hampshire

(1852 - c1961)

The Hampshire Girls and Boys Home was originally founded in December 1852 and was known as the Hampshire Female Orphans Asylum for the 'boarding, clothing and educating of Female Infant Orphans of the Town and Country'. The original premises were in Park Road, later becoming 1-3 King's Park Road, and had two trustees; Joseph Bullar and Samuel Jellicoe. The Trustees were able to appoint, continue, reject or dismiss members of the Home Committee.

In 1958 the title of the Home became the Hampshire Girls' and Boys' Home and in 1961 the Home was transferred to The Children's Society. The Chairman of the Executive Committee, Sir Keith Officer arranged the transfer through his connections in the Hampshire area and went on to become a member of the House Committee. The Home was later known as Hawk's Lease Home.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust