Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

St Mary's Home, Felixstowe

No image of this Home exists in the Children's Society Archive. If you have an image of this home please let us know at hlr@childsoc.org.uk.

St Mary's Home, Felixstowe

Felixstowe, Suffolk

(1895 - 1931)

St Mary's Home was run for 36 years by Mary and Vera Growse before being transferred to the Society in 1931. The Home had originally been established in Bildeston before being relocated to Felixstowe in 1901.

During the First World War in 1916, the Home was taken over for army billeting. The 67 residents, six of them babies, were transferred to Castle Hill, Ipswich. In 1918 residents and staff, including the Growse sisters, were able to return to Felixstowe. A generous local benefactor, Sir Arthur Churchman, later to become Lord Woodbridge, gave them a large house overlooking the sea in Wolsey Gardens.

In 1929 the sisters began negotiations with the Society. At the time of the Home's transfer, 27 girls aged 3-16 were living in the Home.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust