Hidden Lives Revealed. A virtual archive - children in care 1881-1981 * Image of handwritten text

Lowestoft Church Home For Girls

No image of this Home exists in the Children's Society Archive. If you have an image of this home please let us know at hlr@childsoc.org.uk.

Case 4488

See also the medical report from this home in the Unexplored Riches section.

Lowestoft Church Home For Girls

Lowestoft, Suffolk

(1895 - 1915)

Lowestoft Church Home was established in 1895 to replace the Lee Cottage Home in Dickleburgh. The opening ceremony was held on 19 March 1895, with a dedication service conducted by the Bishop of Thetford. All 26 girls (aged 5-15) moved to their new home shortly afterwards.

In 1903 the Home was renamed the Connaught House Home for Girls. The house was in an old part of the town, flanked by shops and with a narrow pavement between the door and the road. The building was rented, but at the end of 1914 the lease ran out without any hope of renewal. As a result of this and the onset of the First World War, the Home closed in 1915.

Miss Doughty, the Home's Honorary Secretary, was determined that Lowestoft should still have a Society home. She personally bought a freehold site of land, which she donated to the Society as a rent-free gift. Plans for this home were delayed throughout the 1920s, before it was eventually opened in 1929 and became known as St. Nicholas'.

The Children's Society UNESCO logo Big
           Lottery Fund logo Wellcome Trust